Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2016

My New Bullet Journal

Hey, everyone!  It's Kristine with you today, with another post in my long quest to find planner peace.  You guys - I think I may have found it!  I am using something now called a bullet journal, and I absolutely LOVE it.  For anyone who hasn't heard of it before, there's a short, very informative video on www.bulletjournal.com to introduce you to what bullet journaling is and how to get started.  If you're at all curious about it, take a look at the video, then keep reading.

So to start my foray into bullet journaling, I picked up the Leuchtturm 1917 notebook at JB Welly (note - I am not compensated for providing any of these links; they're just here for your information).  They can also be found at Amazon and some brick-and-mortar stores.  This journal is A5 size and has dot grid pages, which I love to pieces (you can also get it with grid pages).  The paper is a lot thinner than I'm used to, which I'm not a fan of.  I get a lot of shadowing with the pens I'm using, but no bleeding, so that's something.  Speaking of pens, I'm using a black Faber Castell artist pen and Stabilo fineliners.  Also in my pencil case are a pencil and an eraser.


Now, it's not necessary to have any of this to start a bullet journal - bullet journaling is really about the process, not the "stuff."  But I like to have pretty stuff, so there you go.

The backbone of a bullet journal is the index.  The nice thing about the Leuchtturm 1917 journal is that it has an index already printed in the front that takes up 3 pages.  The pages of the journal itself are also pre-numbered, which helps tremendously.  Each time you add something to your journal, you add an entry to the index.  Here's my index so far:


Now I'll run through rest of the pages I have so far, in order (except for the title page with my name and phone number on it in case I ever lose my journal):

First up: bill tracker and birthdays pages.  Each month when I pay bills, I'll record the amount here.  The birthday tracker will help me keep up with cards and gifts I need to buy and send through the rest of the year.

Next, my future log (this is where you can record future events that you don't have calendar pages for yet).  I have to say, I don't love this.  I've seen several ways to lay them out, and I think if I do a future log in my next book, I won't do it like this.  I just don't like how it looks, and there's not enough room to write stuff.  I may just spread it out over a couple more pages.


I couldn't think of any other tracker or collections pages I was dying to have, so I went ahead next and created my monthly calendar for May.  Because of the way May started on a Sunday, I ended up with a lot of wasted space at the top row, and the May header is way too big.  For June, I will definitely change this up.


So far, the bullet journal is a lot like a regular planner - the monthly layout, the extra pages for tracking bills or birthdays or books you read or what have you.  Here, though, is where it gets drastically different - the daily pages.  Now, lots of people like to do a weekly spread over two pages, with evenly spaced areas for each day drawn out in advance.  But to me, that defeats the whole purpose of doing this journal instead of using a regular planner - by planning daily, I am free to make each day's section as long or as short as it needs to be.  Here are my first four daily entries for May:


As you can see, I'm able to experiment with different header styles and handwriting, which is fun.  Each evening, I set up the coming day in my journal.  It takes only a few minutes to write in a heading and list out the items I know are coming the next day (or even items coming in a few days that I just don't want to forget).  I create this list based on the items on my monthly spread, and add to it as the day goes on.  Each item starts out with a dot next to it, unless it's an appointment that has a certain time (small circles) or important things that must get done right away (squares) .  As an item on the list is completed, I draw an x through the dot, circle, or square.  Anything that didn't get done and needs to be moved to another day, called migrating, gets an arrow.  A horizontal line through the signifier means that the task no longer needs to be done.


After these four days were over, I discovered a doodling challenge on Instagram that I wanted to do for May.  In the spirit of bullet journaling, I set up the challenge on the next available page, even though I was only four days into the May pages.  That means that my May daily layouts will be split up, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest.  The challenge I'm doing for May is for doodling flowers:


I love this spread - all the colors are making me happy.


On the next set of pages, I'm continuing my May daily entries.


As I think of more collections that I want, I'll add them (I've already added a page for the alumni band newsletter I'm putting together this summer), and continue adding monthly and daily pages as needed.  And the book will continue on thusly, until it's full and time to move into another one.

The great thing about the bullet journal, for me, is that it can contain everything - calendars, events, work items, home items, birthday lists, travel planning, lists of books read, weight trackers, doodles, diary entries, home improvement projects - the sky is the limit.  It is a page-by-page record of my life as it happens.  And I love that I don't need 16 different planners or books to keep it all.

If you're intrigued, I encourage you to spend some time on the bulletjournal.com website, then peruse online to see how people have set up their journals.  A word of caution - there are some real works of art out there.  But don't be intimidated!  The journal is primarily meant to be functional - if it works for you, that's all that matters!

Thanks for hanging out with me today and reading along.  If you have any questions about bullet journaling, leave me a message down below and I'll be happy to answer as best I can.  Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment