Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2016

15 Minute Summer Activity Sticks

Hi everyone, it's Jes again. I'm back with another 15 minute (ish) craft. Have you ever heard "I'm bored! There's nothing to do around here!" from your kids over the summers? I remember annoying my mom with it constantly. My daughter is getting to that age, and I decided to head off the boredom with some pre-determined activities we can do together. I considered just writing it in my planner and choosing something for each day, but that wouldn't be much fun for her.  Then, at a recent wedding, the couple put popsicle sticks out on the tables and asked people to write down date ideas.  It was perfect for what I needed, and I stopped by the craft store on the way home to grab some sticks for myself.

What you'll need:
     Popsicle sticks (tip: get the colored ones, they're more fun)
     Markers (tip: sharpies bleed really bad, so test your makers before using them)
     VersaCraft Ink 
     Stamps that go with what you want to write. 

The next part is super simple.  Write your activity on the stick, choose a coordinating stamp, and stamp it on the top of your stick. You will want to let the ink from your stamping dry for a few minutes before coloring or it will smear.  I had the most success with the ones that sat about five minutes.  

As always, at the end of the project, there are a few things I wish I would have done differently.  I think it would have looked really pretty to write a bit bigger, and fill the stick, maybe even add a bit of fancy lettering. I definitely wish I would have found a marker that didn't bleed.  I also wish I would have tried my spectrum noir markers out on it for the coloring. Using the colored sticks instead of the plain ones would be more fun, but then coloring might not look right.

I've included a short how-to video below.  If you like it, be sure to hit like and subscribe.  If you do this craft, be sure to tag me on Instagram @jes_planning and let me know. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment