Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Happy Wednesday, everyone!  It's Kristine with you today, and I hope you're making it through the workweek okay.  Personally, I can't wait for Friday because it's the start of Spring Break this weekend - woo hoo!  To help pass the days, I made myself this super cute Easter card.  What, you've never seen an Easter dragon before? When you don't have bunny stamps, you improvise!  This super cute set from Sweet Stamp Shop includes a dragon and egg, so I decided to turn Easter on its head this year:


Super cute, right?  But that's not even the best part - George has wobble action!



Read on below to see how insanely EASY it is to make your own wobble cards!

So to start, I decided I wanted the background of the card to have some texture.  I don't have a die cut machine, so I can't use embossing folders - but I didn't let that stop me!  I decided to weave my own paper background.  First, I cut the paper into strips 6 inches by one-quarter inch wide. (This paper is the kind you find in the scrapbooking section of the craft store - thicker than regular paper, but not quite as thick as cardstock).


Once the paper was all cut, I lined a bunch of the strips up next to each other and taped them down at the top end on my cutting mat. I used enough strips to go 6 inches, which was the width of my card base.


Next, I took the leftover strips and started weaving!  This was a little time consuming, though after the 5th or 6th strip, I got a system that worked well and I was able to move pretty quickly.  After each strip was woven in, I used my fingernails to gently but firmly pull it tight against the strip above it.


I continued on this way until I had a woven area that was the same size as my card base, about 6 in. by 4 in.  I taped the bottom edges of the woven paper together to make sure they wouldn't come apart in the next step.


Once it was all taped and secure, I removed the woven paper from the mat and turned it upside down on the table (this is because my paper had a matte side and a shiny side, and I wanted the shiny side to show on the front of my card - I made sure the shiny side was face down on the table).  I then positioned my card base over it and used hot glue to secure it - not so much that it squooshed through the weaving, but enough (especially around the edges) to keep it all secure.


Once the hot glue had cooled, I used my craft knife and a metal ruler to trim all around the edges.  The woven bits at the very edge are not glued down tightly, as you can see, but that's okay - they'll be secured in the next step.


Next, I chose a piece of coordinating scrapbook paper and made a frame for the card front.  I used my craft knife to cut out the inside, and used some scalloped scissors to cut the outside (I REALLY need to get a die cut machine, lol!).  


Before attaching the frame to the front of the card, I went ahead and attached the grass pieces to the bottom.  These are pieces of die cut grass that can be bought premade at the craft store in the scrapbooking section with all the stickers and other embellishments.  These do not have sticker backs, so I ran them through my Xyron sticker maker first to attach a layer of adhesive to them.  Then I peeled them off and stuck them down.


To attach the frame, I used foam tape around the edges.  This gave it a bit of nice dimension.



Now for the good part - George and his eggs!  I used Sweet Stamp Shop's Dragon set to stamp on white cardstock.  (I made multiple images of each item in case I messed up).


Using a thin-tipped Sharpie, I carefully drew a pair of bunny ears on the dragon.  What's an Easter dragon without bunny ears??  I think this was the moment I decided he had to be named George.


Once the dragon had his ears, I colored him, his eggs, and some fire with Prismacolor colored pencils and blended the colors with gamsol for a smooth, even look.  Then, using a basket embellishment that I also found in the scrapbooking section of the craft store, I arranged the basket, eggs, and fire on the lower left portion of the card and adhered them down.  


Now for George, I knew I wanted to make him wobble.  There are ready-made wobble springs that you can buy, but it was cheap and crazy easy to make my own.  To make a wobble spring, I cut a couple of small squares or circles of cardstock (small enough to attach to the back of the dragon without being seen) and some thin wire (mine is 26 gauge, and it worked perfectly). Using the handle of mycraft knife (any narrow cylindrical object would work), I wrapped the end of the wire 2 times around and cut.


Using plain old clear tape, I attached one end of the wire coil to one of the small pieces of cardstock, making sure it was as centered on the cardstock as I could make it.  If any tape hung over the edge, I just trimmed it with scissors.


Next I attached the other end of the wire to the other piece of cardstock the same way.


Using a few glue dots, I attached one side of the spring to the back of the dragon and the other side to the front of the card.  I added a bow to the basket, and voila!  George the Easter dragon was born.


And don't forget that awesome wobble action!  I've made him wobble dozens of times with no issues, so it's quite sturdy!



Can't you just imagine all kinds of projects that would be cuter with a little wobble action?  Try making your own!  Tag us on instagram (@teachplancraft, @jes_planning) so we can see your adorable creations.  Until next time, have a great afternoon!

4 comments:

  1. He is so cute! I am gobsmacked you drew his little ears on--I thought they were a stamp! You did a great job, and now I am dying to have my own little dragon bunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! You can totally have your own little dragon bunny - use a pencil first and then go over it with the Sharpie when you're happy how it looks. 😀

      Delete
  2. Thanks for these great directions. I love George. I just received that set in the mail last week and have not used it yet. Super card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the dragon set - have fun with it! And if you try the wobble spring, let us know how it turns out!

      Delete